Apply for funding from Action
Applications should be of high quality as the scheme is very competitive and will be assessed by rigorous peer review. Please read the exclusions, as listed below, before you make your application.
Applications are invited from medical graduates, clinicians, bioengineers, research nurses, physiotherapists and allied health professionals. Please read the exclusions, as listed below, before you make your application.
Please note that we do not provide:
- grants towards service provision or audit studies
- grants purely for higher education, although Research Training Fellows are strongly encouraged to independently register for a PhD
- course fees for degrees or subsistence costs
- grants for medical or dental electives
- grants for work undertaken outside the UK
- any indirect costs such as administrative or other overheads imposed by the University or other Institution
- costs associated with advertising and recruitment of staff
- 'top up' funding for work supported by other funding bodies
- costs to attend conferences (current Action Medical Research grantholders may apply separately as the need arises during the grant)
- general appeals from other charities. Applications would normally come directly from research teams and projects need to be passed through our scientific peer review system
- grants for research into complementary / alternative medicine
- grants on how best to train clinical staff
- grants on social research, family relationships or socioeconomic research
- grants for very basic research with little likelihood of clinical impact within the short to medium term
- applicants based in core funded units can apply but need to demonstrate added value.